This Page

has been moved to new address

A spring mantel from up-cycle garage sale finds!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Crafty, Scrappy, Happy: A spring mantel from up-cycle garage sale finds!

Friday, April 22, 2011

A spring mantel from up-cycle garage sale finds!

There is nothing like a refreshing night of up-cycling, especially when you are happy with the final product.  


I have really discovered my love for garage sale treasures last year, I am SO anticipating this years garage sale season!  But the crazy thing is that I am still working on some projects from last years garage sale finds....  I found an oar and picked it up, because I am so so so in love with anything that reminds me of the lake....I love the water and the fun you can have in it, the calm and peaceful feeling, really, let me just be honest I love everything having to do with my little Hamburg Lake (I am so so so sad about leaving in a few weeks).  Anyways, back to my projects:


These were a thrift store find, I painted them and was enjoying them {see pictures here} but I couldn't stop thinking they weren't distressed enough for my taste.


So I decided to try out some glaze....I have have never glazed before and I am definitely NOT a pro, in-fact I am not sure if I even did it correctly, but I was happy with the results.  I just tinted the clear glaze with black paint, made sure it got in the all of the little distressed details of and then rubbed it off with the an old cloth...


I started with white paint and then discovered my new best friend the sandpaper holder....wow is distressing easier with that!!!


Finally I added my most favorite summertime quote using the technique I used here.


I am linking up here.

Labels: ,

23 Comments:

Blogger Tabitha@InspiredByGiving said...

I love the oar! So beautiful with the words...just beautiful!

April 22, 2011 at 1:01 PM  
Blogger Rachel // Maybe Matilda said...

That is so cute! I love the color of those shutters--beautiful!

Rachel @ Maybe Matilda

April 22, 2011 at 1:01 PM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

Very cute!! I really like both!

April 22, 2011 at 4:01 PM  
Blogger Tania Pelletier said...

Those are adorable little shutters! I love them. And your display all together is beautiful, great job!!

Tania

April 22, 2011 at 5:13 PM  
Anonymous SchoolhouseKat said...

Gorgeous color on those shutters and I love the oar!

April 22, 2011 at 8:40 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Love this mantle!! I too live near a lake, and have been looking all over for an oar! Note to self - it can be found! LOL. Great job! So glad I found your blog - visiting from TT&J!

- Jenn @ Social Salutations

April 23, 2011 at 7:07 AM  
Blogger Katie @ OhhBaby said...

Okay. I am following you now. I just couldn't resist!

April 23, 2011 at 3:13 PM  
Blogger Life Of A Southern Couple - Brittany said...

Love this! Such a great idea! The oar is just perfect!!! Thanks for sharing! :)

http://lifeofasoutherncouple.blogspot.com/

April 23, 2011 at 7:44 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Great shutters and I love the saying on that oar!! I'm a new follower!! (=

April 23, 2011 at 11:43 PM  
Blogger Miss Kitty said...

I saw your great mantle over at "Sunday Showcase". I love everything about it especially the blue color you used on the shutters.

April 24, 2011 at 7:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love it! The little shutters are an odd size. Great idea.

Benita

April 24, 2011 at 5:47 PM  
Anonymous Eileen @ Cottage Beach House said...

I love the colors you chose. the oar is great and it looks so good with those cute little shutters.

April 24, 2011 at 7:11 PM  
Anonymous heidi @ wonder woman wannabe said...

i've been on the lookout for an oar for AGES! i have a 'life is but a dream' vinyl waiting to be slapped right on it when i find one! :) what a great idea to display it on a mantel!

ps - we've got THE sweetest welsh corgi, but I also dream of one day adding a golden retriever to our brood one day as well.

April 25, 2011 at 6:49 AM  
Blogger Crystal said...

LOVE everything about this! The color, shutters, oar, quote... all of it! :) I am a new follower and I would love for you to link this up to my Inspire-me Mondays Blog Party at Homemaker in Heels! Have a great week!
http://www.homemakerinheels.com/2011/04/inspire-me-monday-week-1-is-here-come.html
Blessings~
Crysta

April 25, 2011 at 9:53 AM  
Blogger Jamara @ My NW Nest said...

Super cute!

April 25, 2011 at 4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I asked my husband for some shutters and now i really want some - I may need to go buy some instead of waiting for him to find me some. Very inspiring - thank you for sharing!

April 27, 2011 at 12:38 AM  
Blogger Tommy and Ellie Sibiga said...

I've been wanting to experiment with glaze but when I went to Lowe's they weren't able to tint it a "normal" paint color. Where did you go to get your glaze? How did you like it?

July 8, 2011 at 5:15 AM  
Blogger sandy said...

lovely! please tell us the turquoise color!

July 13, 2011 at 11:55 PM  
Blogger www.gallamorewest.com said...

I LOVE your shutters! The color is perfect and the glazing looks great... I've never glazed either so I really appreciated your detailed instructions!

July 21, 2011 at 12:10 AM  
Blogger Kelli W said...

Those shutters look great! I love the color!

July 21, 2011 at 6:13 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

Love the color of those shutters! So beachy and inspiring.

July 21, 2011 at 7:26 AM  
Blogger My Greenbrae Cottage said...

LOVE the shutters, and their color, and the oar! Super fresh.

July 21, 2011 at 8:06 AM  
Blogger Heidi said...

beautiful mantel! love those shutters!

July 21, 2011 at 7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home