This Page

has been moved to new address

Number Art--guest post by Maggie from Midwest Sewing Girl!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Crafty, Scrappy, Happy: Number Art--guest post by Maggie from Midwest Sewing Girl!

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Number Art--guest post by Maggie from Midwest Sewing Girl!

Meet my Co-host of the Week and Guest Poster Today: 

Alright friends I am beyond excited that the wonderfully and super talented Maggie from Midwest Sewing Girl is here today!  And what is even better she is co-hosting the crafty scrappy happy party tomorrow!!!!  Maggie is one of my most wonderful blog friends I would pay about a million dollars to have her living next door to me----this gal is beyond talented and sweet!  Go and check out her amazing blog---Midwest Sewing Girl
 I won't babble anymore for now, but please plan on coming back to party tomorrow!!!!  
Yayyyy I can hardly wait!
-Jaime
_________________________________________________



Eeeek! I can't tell you how excited I am to be co-hosting Crafty Scrappy Happy me Thursday!

If you are reading this blog, then you already know what I'm about to tell you...Jaime is AMAZING. She is one of my dearest blogging friends & I'm ALWAYS completely blown away by her projects...I consider it a HUGE honor to be included in her new linky party...truly.

Let me introduce myself...my name is Maggie & I write a little blog called Midwestern {Sewing} Girl.


There you can find diy & makeover projects, sewing tutorials & scrapbooking stuff...basically all things crafty with a few family posts thrown in. I'd love love love to have you come visit...

Now, I know Jaime loves to create things that hold special meaning to her & her husband, so I thought this would be the ideal project to share with you today...


Each row of numbers on this canvas is important to the members of my family (they are all of our birth dates & our wedding date)...but what I like best is that the meaning isn't overtly obvious...in fact, it's subtle enough that I don't feel weird about hanging it in my living room...

First, let me show you where I got my initial inspiration for this project...


from source via  Pinterest 

As soon as I saw this art from Andrea Steed, I knew I wanted to do something similar...

So here's what I did...
I found an old canvas that I bought a few years ago...mine was 24"x30"...grabbed some white, black & grey (not shown) art paint...and got to work.



First, I quickly (really quickly) painted the entire canvas with a coat of grey paint. It wasn't perfect, and it didn't need to be...you'll see why in a minute.


When that dried I went over the grey with white - this coat was even sloppier than the first...I didn't worry about completely covering the grey, because I knew I wanted the grey to show a little...

Then I marked off the canvas into equal parts with a ruler & pencil, making sure I had enough room for all of my dates...don't worry about the pencil lines...they'll be covered...


Next I used my Silhouette to cut out the numbers I needed from vinyl...but you certainly don"t need a Silhouette for this project. You could free-hand the numbers or print them out in a font you like, then cut them out for the next step...or you could buy the numbers from a craft or home improvement store...

I took my numbers and placed them onto my canvas...making sure that all of the edges were firmly pressed down...


Then I took my black paint and went over the entire canvas...I made sure the black completely covered all of the grey/white areas, including all of the edges of the canvas, but you could choose to give it a little more worn/shabby look by just doing a sloppy coat over the numbers...


When the paint was completely dry, I simply peeled off the vinyl numbers...


I love the way it looks in my living room...it reminds me of the old arrival & departure boards at the airport...I think it gives just the right "urban" touch to this space...and it's wonderfully personal...bonus.

If you have any questions about this project, please don't hesitate to ask me! I'd love to hear from you...and don't forget to pop on by Midwestern {Sewing} Girl for a visit!

Thank you so so much, Jaime, for having me co-host/guest-post this week!!!! You are best.




8 Comments:

Blogger Pamela Bates said...

I am really diggin' this!!!

August 31, 2011 at 4:57 AM  
Blogger Maggie Massey said...

Thank you so so much for having me today, Jaime! I can't wait for the linky party tomorrow!

August 31, 2011 at 5:12 AM  
Blogger Lori @ Katies Rose Cottage Designs said...

That is so cool!! Thank you for the awesome tutorial!

August 31, 2011 at 5:38 AM  
Blogger Rachel // Maybe Matilda said...

That's so fun! I love that it isn't too obvious--just looks like cool, modern, trendy art. Great idea, Maggie!

August 31, 2011 at 8:58 AM  
Blogger Ido said...

Love it! Thank you for the tutorial!
XXX Ido

August 31, 2011 at 9:13 AM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

This is great! I love the whole look of it!

Thanks for the tutorial!

August 31, 2011 at 10:01 AM  
Blogger Simply AJ said...

Nice job Maggie... I love how you incorporated your special dates into your wall art. I too have seen several takes on this idea (via Pinterest - of course) and enjoy seeing the different ways you can personalize it. Great idea! Thanks so much for sharing! AJ

queenofmynest(at)gmail(dot)com

August 31, 2011 at 11:57 PM  
Blogger BeLove said...

i LOVE this!! totally pin worthy! http://pinterest.com/pin/156670367/

since its just my husband and i for now, i'll have to figure out some type of variation that works for our home...but i LOVE the concept!! and it looks fantastic!

September 1, 2011 at 7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home