This Page

has been moved to new address

Guest Post Adorable Memo Board {by A Sunday Afternoon}

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Crafty, Scrappy, Happy: Guest Post Adorable Memo Board {by A Sunday Afternoon}

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Guest Post Adorable Memo Board {by A Sunday Afternoon}

Hello friends!
I have a very special treat for you today!
My new blog friend and fellow midwestern gal Sunday is here to spend the day with us!

A Sunday Afternoon

Sunday is not only a sweet gal to get to know but she is also super talented!
Seriously---go over and check out her blog A Sunday Afternoon---you are sure to be inspired!!!

Take it away Sunday!!!
________

I have a super fun project to share with you today! As part of a 'Twin Cities Live' segment I was challenged to find 3 pieces at a thrift store and transform them for a specific room. After seeing the lay of the land I went with a guest room. I found a cute little dresser, a headboard and this gem of a mirror. The mirror came in at only $14.99- SWEET!

{Before Mirror}


The first thing that HAD to go was the Pink Sea Shell!


It was glued on pretty good, so I used a pick and a hammer to pound it off (thank the Lord I didn't break anything in the process).


Next, I removed the back and mirror from the frame and primed it using my BFF - Kilz Spray Primer.


After priming, I spray painted it with Rust-Oleum Strawflower (2 coats).

LOVE LOVE LOVE this yellow!


I distressed it lightly, so some of the white would show through.


I have to say this mirror weighed like a million pounds! If had brought this home to hang by husband would have a fit - TOO HEAVY. So, I needed to think RE-PURPOSE and turned it into a memo board. A cute memo board with a 'Welcome' sign would be perfect in a guest room.

I had to have something to actually hang notes and pictures on and ended up using chicken wire; well at least that's what I call it. A real handyman would refer to is as: Galvanized Poultry Netting.


I laid it out on the backing from the mirror to cut it to fit. This was NOT an easy process - can anyone say OUCH?

Be warned - chicken wire is very sharp!


After I measured and cut the wire, I spray painted it white with Rust-Oleum White Enamel Spray.


My wonderful nice hubby did the dirty work and stapled it into the frame (inside the back of the frame).


The chicken wire would work to hang notes or pictures on, but I still needed to do something with the back. Burlap was the answer! Who doesn't love burlap? I measured, cut and glued the burlap into the back.


The last step was to make something cute to hang on it. A 'Welcome' banner would be perfect being it was supposed to hang in a guest room (the great news is you could make a banner with ANY words for ANY room).


I gathered together my left over scraps of burlap, some fabric I had on had, twine and some letters I bought from Pick Your Plumb one day.

I simply cute the burlap and fabric into small triangles, folded them over and glued it onto the twine. Then I hot glued the letters on. I lucked out and found this shabby chic clothespins on clearance at Michael's for .45 a pack - YAY!


I LOVE how it turned out! Anytime I can re-purpose something my heart goes pitter-patter!

{After Mirror // Adorable Memo Board}


Love you more than bright cheery yellow!

Sunday





Photobucket

5 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

I'm digging Sunday! She's pretty cool! And so is this project!

April 5, 2012 at 8:41 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

great memo board, that Sunday is very talented!

April 5, 2012 at 9:40 PM  
Blogger Carmella said...

Wow...it's beautiful!! I'll be on the look out for cheap mirrors and giant frames now, I love this idea!

So good to meet you Sunday!

April 6, 2012 at 8:00 AM  
Blogger Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

Wow, that really is an adorable memo board. Yellow sometimes scares me but that seems the perfect shade. Going to tell Sunday I love the project now. :)

April 6, 2012 at 6:41 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

This is spectacular. I love how this mirror was transformed into a memo board. Love every bit of it-the yellow, burlap, the chicken wire. So talented

Wishing you a happy Easter.

Ruth

April 6, 2012 at 6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home