This Page

has been moved to new address

Dressing up canvas bags---inspired by my sister

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Crafty, Scrappy, Happy: Dressing up canvas bags---inspired by my sister

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Dressing up canvas bags---inspired by my sister

Today I had some playing dress up with a few canvas bags I picked up awhile ago for a dollar each!


Really they were pretty simple to make----and I am SUPER excited to use my bag this weekend at thrift sales and the farmers market!

But I must explain that my crafting today was inspired by my little sister.
I made this for her:


Because today she was on my mind.  All day.
And what better way to show someone you love them and are thinking about them than by making them something special.  Something personal and thoughtful.


You see today my little sister took her final 4th year boards for med school.
And I am SO proud of her.
It seems like just yesterday I was with her celebrating her having finished taking the MCAT.


And now that I am thinking about it, it seems like just yesterday I was taking my 4th year boards... and she was there for me during that time... It is hard being far away from her during her big exam because I know how much it meant to me that she was there with me for mine. 
I hope this little gift helps her know how much I was thinking about her today!

{This is the back of the bag, I added an extra little picture for her
because she does have two furry children}

And in case you can't tell by now, she is CRAZY in love with her dachshunds! 
So I think this bag will make her day!

Anddd lets face it, my pups would have felt super super left out if I hadn't made them a "doggie bag" as well!


I tried to hold back on the flowers for this one because I know there is a good chance that my hubs will get stuck carrying it sooner or later.
I really think this bag is going to get A LOT of use, my dogs need "stuff" when we go out and about---and it seem like right before we are trying to leave the house a collar or leash has always gone missing....
NOT anymore---"doggie bag" is here to save the day!  (Or at least that is how I picture it!)

And finally my pretty farmers market bag!


Here is the quick "how to", I won't go into the entire tutorial because I have used the cirtra solv method more than a few times now and I can imagine you might be getting sick of hearing it! 
Click here and here  and here to see a few!  (The first couple are some of my first EVER tutorials....don't judge!  We have to start somewhere right?!?)

-I found the images on graphic fairy
-I reversed the quote on the computer
(to do this you have to convert the file first to a pdf, then to a jpeg and finally filp horizontally)
-I cut old pieces of fabric (hubs had a pile of old dress shirts that he gave me)
-and just wrap and hot glue to get the flower look

Let me know if pictures would help!  I took some but then decided I didn't want to explain the obvious!


What do you think?  Would you take this to the farmers market?!?

I am linking up to a few of these wonderful parties---check them out to find amazing crafty inspirations!



20 Comments:

Blogger Lindsey said...

Oh Jaime Lyn how I love you. You are the sweetest big sister than any girl could ask for! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the bag!!! The flowers dress it up so beautifully, and I am in love with the dachshy and the quote! You are too too too too too amazing!

Love you!

July 1, 2011 at 6:15 AM  
Blogger Carmella said...

I love them!! I have a cute little canvas purse I picked up at a thrift store and it told me it would like to look like on of your bags....so where do I buy the citra-solv?? Thanks again for your wonderful inspiration...when are you going to have an esty shop so I can just buy these things???
Have a great holiday weekend!!

July 1, 2011 at 6:17 AM  
Blogger Tabitha@InspiredByGiving said...

This is sooo cute! I especially love the bicycle and quote. Are both of them from Graphics Fairy? I need the link to that cute bicycle!!! And wow what a cute farmers market bag! So trendy!

July 1, 2011 at 6:40 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

These bags are awesome. I love them. I have to try the Citra-Solv. Love the Graphics Fairy.

Ruth

July 1, 2011 at 4:34 PM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

I'm so glad you used your bags first! I am totally copying you. I'll pick my own graphic and quotes but you get the idea.

July 1, 2011 at 5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have tried the CitraSolv method but I never get the crisp images that you do. I use the printer at work that is supposed to be a laser printer - do you have to transfer the image immediately? Could it be that the printer is not laser after all? It's a big printer not an inkjet.Do you think if I took the copy to Staples or one of those printer places to make a copy I would have better luck? I love how your images transfer!!! Thanks for any suggestions you might have for me! BTW, did you try the tissue paper method for the candles?

July 2, 2011 at 4:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are the cutest "doggone" bags I've seen! I would totally take one to the FM!! Enjoy it!
Take care, VBg

July 2, 2011 at 6:42 PM  
Blogger Tricia @ SweeterThanSweets said...

So fun. My stepsister gave me a personalized canvas tote bag and I love it!! Love your blog design, too... I am all about the gray and yellow lately. =)
(via Tatertots and Jello)

July 2, 2011 at 7:03 PM  
Blogger Homeroad said...

Hi I'm Susan from homeroad.net and I'm your newest follower. Nice projects , great site.... Stop by when you get the chance.
Have a nice weekend
Susan

July 3, 2011 at 5:09 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

I am a new follower. I love the bag as well as several other projects on your bog. Drop by my Cabin some time.

July 3, 2011 at 6:30 PM  
Blogger LivingSoAbundantly said...

Wow! The quotes are powerful, and the totes are incredibly cute! What a great combination!

Living So Abundantly: New meme coming this Thursday, July 7, 2011, Give Back Thursday--come join the fun!

July 4, 2011 at 6:12 AM  
Blogger ABily said...

i love your white and blue elements on the bag:)

July 4, 2011 at 10:06 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Love the bags! Thanks for passing along the Citra Solve tip. I'm off to find it.

July 4, 2011 at 10:18 AM  
Anonymous AmyeToTheRescue! said...

So glad I found you! Love your style!

July 4, 2011 at 1:34 PM  
Blogger Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Your bags are delightful! I would be pleased to take the bicycle bag anywhere.

July 7, 2011 at 11:53 AM  
Blogger Michele @ {Primp} said...

I adore these bags--such cute graphics and quotes! Thanks for joining my linky party this week.

July 7, 2011 at 6:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Super cute, Jaime Lyn! (And thank you for the sweet message earlier!) Thanks for linking with air your laundry Friday! xo Jami

July 7, 2011 at 7:12 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I always enjoy what you have to share. I want to be you when I grow up! Thanks for sharing your talents with the rest of us!
Liz

July 10, 2011 at 1:29 PM  
Anonymous Carolyn said...

The bags look fantastic. You've done an excellent job with them.

July 12, 2011 at 2:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love it, but it doesn't work for me. Have a laser printer, but it just doesn't transfer well. The ink comes off but it is very smudgy.
Believe me I've tried every tool, tape, pins, pressure. Must have something to do with the type of laser ink.

July 24, 2011 at 3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home